The random thread

So Metallica was fucking awesome. The Sphere is incredible although I had a slightly obstructed view being about 3 rows under the upper deck so we couldn't see the very top of the dome. The rows further back than me had it worse. However when you are down there you are SUPER close to the band. So there was a positive trade off... I'll never be closer to Metallica than that lol. It's already a small floor/stage space and then they do that stage in the round that juts way out. So from down low the place seems kind of small and intimate. But I took a walk to the upper deck for a moment and it looked huge up there.

I'll try to get some clips up but my phone video are huge (and I'm terrible at taking them lol).

PXL_20261002_043413613.jpg
PXL_20261002_052810413.MP.jpg
 
So Metallica was fucking awesome. The Sphere is incredible although I had a slightly obstructed view being about 3 rows under the upper deck so we couldn't see the very top of the dome. The rows further back than me had it worse. However when you are down there you are SUPER close to the band. So there was a positive trade off... I'll never be closer to Metallica than that lol. It's already a small floor/stage space and then they do that stage in the round that juts way out. So from down low the place seems kind of small and intimate. But I took a walk to the upper deck for a moment and it looked huge up there.

I'll try to get some clips up but my phone video are huge (and I'm terrible at taking them lol).

View attachment 1843
View attachment 1845
My first real concert was Metallica, Wherever We May Roam Tour, Capital Center in Maryland (close to D.C.) in 1992.

The Black album just came out, and I loved it, but I also liked the older stuff. They played a combination of old and new.

My favorite Metallica song is/was "Seek and Destroy" on the Kill'em all album.
 
My first real concert was Metallica, Wherever We May Roam Tour, Capital Center in Maryland (close to D.C.) in 1992.

The Black album just came out, and I loved it, but I also liked the older stuff. They played a combination of old and new.

My favorite Metallica song is/was "Seek and Destroy" on the Kill'em all album.
Mine was Motley Crue in 1987; Whitesnake was the opener, lol.
 
Mine was Motley Crue in 1987; Whitesnake was the opener, lol.
That's awesome. I loved Motley Crue as a youngster also. In 1987, I would have been 13, a little too young for concerts. And, my parents sure weren't going to take me to a rock concert. Back then you listened to whatever dad wanted to listen to, and just shut up about your own interests.

Believe it or not, another concert I went to around the same year as Metallica, was Billy Joel. I still like Billy Joel's music.

His contemporary of the time, Bruce Springstein, can go jump off a bridge. But Billy is cool.

Whitesnake is @bconcrete 's favorite band, I think.
 
My first real concert was Metallica, Wherever We May Roam Tour, Capital Center in Maryland (close to D.C.) in 1992.

The Black album just came out, and I loved it, but I also liked the older stuff. They played a combination of old and new.

My favorite Metallica song is/was "Seek and Destroy" on the Kill'em all album.
My first concert too! Maybe Ozzy... I saw them a month apart but don't remember which one was first. That 92 Metallica show was in NJ so we probably saw them just a few days apart. Ironically though I HATED Seek and Destroy. That is when they were doing the 15 minute version of it with all the crowd stuff... man I hated that lol. They played it on Thursday and still do the beach ball thing but they just play the normal length song so it's not so bad now.
 
My first concert too! Maybe Ozzy... I saw them a month apart but don't remember which one was first. That 92 Metallica show was in NJ so we probably saw them just a few days apart. Ironically though I HATED Seek and Destroy. That is when they were doing the 15 minute version of it with all the crowd stuff... man I hated that lol. They played it on Thursday and still do the beach ball thing but they just play the normal length song so it's not so bad now.
Hated Seek and Destroy...REALLY?

My buddy and I in high school would go to the dollar movies, and ride around in the parking lot in his old, yellow Chevy pickup, with speakers blasting that song full treble. We would save it for when we were getting close, then put in the tape and jam it like a bunch of badasses, for everyone to hear.

What a bunch of dumbasses we were. But--that's part of growing up.
 
Hated Seek and Destroy...REALLY?

My buddy and I in high school would go to the dollar movies, and ride around in the parking lot in his old, yellow Chevy pickup, with speakers blasting that song full treble. We would save it for when we were getting close, then put in the tape and jam it like a bunch of badasses, for everyone to hear.

What a bunch of dumbasses we were. But--that's part of growing up.
I didn't hate that song until that live version of it. But it was never a favorite... Kill em All in general isn't my favorite. And Justice for All is my favorite album so that 3 album run of RTL, MOP and AJFA will never ever be topped. Those albums are more mature than Kill em All. It's still a classic tho.

One of the greatest parts of the Metallica song writing formula is how well they transition from a guitar solo back into the main riff. There are so many songs where kick everything up even higher coming out off the solo before diving back into the riff. So damn good, with Battery being one of the best! God damn this makes me wanna punch someone!

View attachment Battery_converted.mp4
 
I didn't hate that song until that live version of it. But it was never a favorite... Kill em All in general isn't my favorite. And Justice for All is my favorite album so that 3 album run of RTL, MOP and AJFA will never ever be topped. Those albums are more mature than Kill em All. It's still a classic tho.

One of the greatest parts of the Metallica song writing formula is how well they transition from a guitar solo back into the main riff. There are so many songs where kick everything up even higher coming out off the solo before diving back into the riff. So damn good, with Battery being one of the best! God damn this makes me wanna punch someone!

View attachment 1847
I love it too.

Hey, what's your thoughts about MegaDeath? I was always Metallica first, but I sure love me some Dave Mustaine and sweating bullets...

Rob Zombie played a role too, but I think later...
 
I love it too.

Hey, what's your thoughts about MegaDeath? I was always Metallica first, but I sure love me some Dave Mustaine and sweating bullets...

Rob Zombie played a role too, but I think later...
I like Megadeth but they were probably at the bottom of the Big 4 for me. Metallica by far #1 and Anthrax was #2 for me even though most people put them at the bottom of the 4. But Megadeth has some great stuff too. Mustaine is very one-dimensional though. He does what he does.... album after album. Not a lot of variety in their music. But Rust in Piece is an all time top 5 metal album. The guitar playing on that album is out of this world. Marty Freidman brought such a great exotic element to that band. And a couple of their newer albums are really fantastic too. I really like End Game... check that album out if you haven't heard it.
 
And with all this metal talk going on, I just picked up 2 tickets to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd tonight in Wilmington for $20 each. Whoo! He's awesome. Time to shift gears into my blues mode lol
 
I like Megadeth but they were probably at the bottom of the Big 4 for me. Metallica by far #1 and Anthrax was #2 for me even though most people put them at the bottom of the 4. But Megadeth has some great stuff too. Mustaine is very one-dimensional though. He does what he does.... album after album. Not a lot of variety in their music. But Rust in Piece is an all time top 5 metal album. The guitar playing on that album is out of this world. Marty Freidman brought such a great exotic element to that band. And a couple of their newer albums are really fantastic too. I really like End Game... check that album out if you haven't heard it.
Music just isn't the same anymore. There will be no more Metallicas, Megadeaths, Anthrax, etc...

Porno for Pyros... (LOL)

One concert that I went to by accident in about 1997, in a bar in Pasadena, Maryland, AL Gators I think it was, was completely awesome at the time.

We went to this bar/club all the time. This night we went there and got frisked on the way in, which was different. Had no idea who was playing. It ended up being Insane Clown Posse, and they were doing the Great Milenko tour. Talk about a fun night. I never heard anything like that before.

Beastie Boys, yes, but never any dark carnival clown rap. They went through like a thousand bottles of 2 liter Faygos, and completely ruined the hardwood floors in that place. They were banned from ever coming back to that place. But it was glorious! My buddies and I thought that was the best thing we ever experienced at the time. We all went out and bought The Great Milenko, and if you don't really like ICP and want one representative album, that is the one that I like--because it brings back memories. We played that at parties from there on out, for years.

I don't really party anymore, but if there is a party with old friends involved (post college years), The Great Milenko has to be played.
 
Back
Top