Triple M Junkie Idol Game thread

I'll throw a controversial take out there:

I think King has been riding his own coattails this entire millennium.

I can't give exact dates, but I feel comfortable saying that all of his post-2000s stuff I've read is Ass on Toast, especially when compared to pre-2k King.
I believe that easily. With the volume of work he has produced, I can't imagine you could keep finding good, original ideas after so long. I've also heard that some of his best work was done when he was still doing a bunch of coke of drinking heavily in the 80's. Also easily believable. Great art throughout history has been done through the haze of drug binges. I've been hesitant to read any of his newer stuff for these reasons.

I was a late reader of King. I only read It a couple years ago, and that was the first of his I read. I still intend on reading the rest of the Dark Tower series, The Shining, and....I dunno what else. Nothing else has really intrigued me.
 
I'll throw a controversial take out there:

I think King has been riding his own coattails this entire millennium.

I can't give exact dates, but I feel comfortable saying that all of his post-2000s stuff I've read is Ass on Toast, especially when compared to pre-2k King.
didn't he get sober at some point? wasn't he on coke an booze for a long time?
 
didn't he get sober at some point? wasn't he on coke an booze for a long time?
Stephen King got sober in 1987 after his wife, Tabitha, and his family staged a stark intervention. She emptied a garbage can containing his drug and alcohol evidence—including beer cans, cocaine, and prescription pills—in front of him and gave him an ultimatum to get help
 
Stephen King got sober in 1987 after his wife, Tabitha, and his family staged a stark intervention. She emptied a garbage can containing his drug and alcohol evidence—including beer cans, cocaine, and prescription pills—in front of him and gave him an ultimatum to get help
I found that there is a golden hour of writing that comes after being really drunk. There's this window while I'm starting to sober up where brilliant writing comes through. I've also found that I really, really miss smoking whilst writing. Getting up and pacing while smoking really helps to get over humps when writing. And the nicotine also seemed to really stimulate thought.
 
I found that there is a golden hour of writing that comes after being really drunk. There's this window while I'm starting to sober up where brilliant writing comes through. I've also found that I really, really miss smoking whilst writing. Getting up and pacing while smoking really helps to get over humps when writing. And the nicotine also seemed to really stimulate thought.
ever try those Zyn nicotine pouches? I have a can and use one every few months, they're good
 
ever try those Zyn nicotine pouches? I have a can and use one every few months, they're good
Can't do that for the same reason you can't drink a beer. Nicotine is something that will grab ahold of me if it is available so freely in a pouch like that. And I never want to have to quit nicotine again.

I am considering having an occasional high quality cigar. I miss those. And when I reach a certain age, pipe smoking will become a thing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ABB
Remind me again how you guys do it and I'll try that.
I use imgflip.com , and that is the easiest one to use in my opinion. Unless you already have an imgur account. But imgflip is super easy:

Go to imgflip.com
Click "Make a Meme"
Upload new template
Upload image from your device
Select image
Generate meme
Harvest URL like any other web hosted image
Profit
 
  • Like
Reactions: ABB
The first book I ever read was Christine by King about a car possessed by a supernatural force. Not one of his best obviously, but at the time I thought it was the best story ever. When I saw a movie about it on tv I got all excited thinking it’ll be just as good as the book. Huge letdown. I find there’s more in books than actual films of them but not surprising trying to cram everything in 1.5 hours of a movie.
 
The first book I ever read was Christine by King about a car possessed by a supernatural force. Not one of his best obviously, but at the time I thought it was the best story ever. When I saw a movie about it on tv I got all excited thinking it’ll be just as good as the book. Huge letdown. I find there’s more in books than actual films of them but not surprising trying to cram everything in 1.5 hours of a movie.
I think there's a connection to It with the car in Christine, or so I think I read.

Its incredibly rare that I like a movie adaptation of a book I liked. And King's work seems extra hard to put to screen, in my opinion. I watched the newest It movie and felt it cheated the viewer of so much from the books. I'm not even going to bother watching The Stand or The Dark Tower.
 
I'm flying with Allegiant next week. I'll let you know!
axai7o.jpg
 
I understand. Your schedule is nightmarishly busy.
Starting Tuesday, I'll be on vacation until Colorado until August 4th. I figured I could judge something like last round or the one before with no problem, but no chance I'm spending hours watching old fights I've probably seen before with my face stuck in a tablet/phone while on vacation.
 
I did! Read my second paragraph in the quote there. I never read abridged versions of anything, so I got the longer one without hesitation.

I liked The Stand quite a bit, but I think It is so far my favorite of his work that I have read.
The first ed. (short one) was edited HEAVILY by the editors before its release in 1978. We only got the full version in 1990. Same editor.

For me, King started writing average novels with The Tommyknockers in 1987 until 2011. Sure, there are a few exceptions in that period, like Needful Things, but the rest is just meh! But since 11/22/63 he's been mostly on fire.

@Eranys You have to read The Talisman (collaboration with Peter Straub) and its sequel Black House. The 3rd and final volume, Other Worlds Than These, will be out this Fall.

Also, if you read The Shinning (you'll love it) don't forget its sequel Dr. Sleep.
 
Back
Top